Call: (614) 445-3000
Alternatives To Divorce
Here are some alternatives to filing a Divorce:
A. Open Communication
By trying to openly communicate about the marriage, people can sometimes help alleviate stress and frustration in the relationship. People usually need ground rules to openly communicate. Some suggested ground rules to help make this communication productive are the following:
Some common topics to discuss are the following:
- Each person listens while the other person speaks (no interruption).
- Talk about how you feel instead of making accusations that may start arguments.
- Each person must say something that he or she likes about the other or about the relationship.
- How the Relationship has changed since you were married.
- What can be done to bring you closer together.
- Where you would like the relationship to go.
- What the issues are in the marriage, the source of the issues, and how the issues may be addressed.
B. Marriage Counselor
A counselor is not there to tell you what to do. Their job is to help you figure out what you want to do in the situation and to get you thinking. Counselors should help you calmly analyze what the problems are objectively and non judgmentally and to discover and discuss possible solutions.
C. Trial Separation
By taking time apart for an indefinite period, both people will have time to do the following:
- Assess what it would be like to live alone.
- Determine how each person really feels about each other.
- Evaluate how important or trivial the problems are.
- Weigh the pros and cons of staying with or leaving the marriage.
- Separate out the income and monthly expenses of each person.
- Experience what it would be like to live alone emotionally and financially.
Learn More About the Following:
Ch. 7 Bankruptcy
Some people can eliminate unsecured credit cards and medical bills. It's not for everyone, but it may be right for you.
Chapter 13 BankruptcyNeed to catch up a house or save a car? Ch. 13 bankruptcy helps people pay back their debt with what they have.Read More
DivorceIs it time to consider your options with your marriage? Divorce can help you gain closure.Read More
DissolutionWhen both people are in agreement on how to end a marriage, a dissolution is a possibility.Read More
Child CustodyDealing with custody can help resolve child related issues in a relationship.Read More
CriminalHave you been accused of a crime?
Maybe you should consider your options.Read More